Wednesday 30 March 2016

288. a story of yonosuke

This spring break has been filled with nostalgia. I spent my last week mostly at home, painting away. I'm not too inspired by my girls now, so I'm having fun painting whatever I want and just experimenting. I hope to post up some new ideas soon.

Like I have mentioned in a recent post of finding my old music again, I watched a couple of new films and re-watched some. I finally re-watched A Story of Yonosuke and I really like how light-hearted and bittersweet this film is.


: When I die, I wonder if they'll cry for me as they remember me...
: When they think about you, they'll all laugh instead.
: What? Why?
: I don't know, just a guess.


I first watched this film when I was on the plane to Manila, 3 years ago. I remember almost immediately liking Yonosuke's character because of his carefree, optimistic and naive spirit. The story, like the title suggests, follows Yonosuke's life experience during his college years. I really like how the film flows from a flashback to a moment of his life, then to the people who he have met, years later, talking and remembering him.

It made me think if the people I used to know or even the people I have in my life now, will they still remember me maybe 10, 20 years later? Also, what kind of impact did I leave on them or even... when they talk about me, which memory of us would they share? If they think about me, which experience in the course of knowing each other will they remember most?

This film is definitely about life. Life is so strange, friends and lovers becoming strangers again.

I also really like that there are almost no sad moments in this film, which makes it heartwarming as well. I think it's one of those films that I could probably watch over and over again and not get tired of.

Kengo Kora is a gem. I've only watched him in Snakes and Earrings, and his character in that film is entirely different from Yonosuke. I really enjoyed his performance in both films. I like how he's smiling so much in this film. I wish there were more films like this.

PS. His samba dancing is awkwardly adorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment