Tuesday 15 March 2016

281. owls, wood sculptures & okinawa

March 5th, Saturday :

Both little sis and I got up early because I made a reservation at an owl cafe, Owl Village at 11am. I chose the earliest time slot because I had a feeling the owls would be cranky and tired from people after a couple of hours. 

Both little sis and I like owls. I think I like them more because she hates birds and have a long, bad history with them (for some reason, they always steal her food and poop on her). Nonetheless, she was pretty excited to check out the owl cafe but I could tell she was a little scared. Surprisingly, we arrived at the cafe on time and there were other people already waiting to get in.

The cafe was pretty small, only fitting 3 tables at a time. Probably to not freak or stress the owls out. The staff gave us some instructions and we were good to go play with the owls. There were two huge owls which kind of scared me actually, another two medium sized owls, and 2 really tiny owls and a white barn owl (yeah, the Harry Potter owl). I can't remember what the other breeds are but the biggest owls were the least friendly, and one of the medium sized owl was still sleeping, haha. Well, they are nocturnal.

This little guy is called Waltz.
This one is like a cat, it plays with you and always wants to be pet. Apparently, it really likes humans.
These two small ones looked more like toys to me.
The big ones as you can tell, are probably angry 90% of the time.

I really wanted to try to carry the owls, little sis was a little hesitant because she was afraid they would poop on her, haha. So, I tried first and she followed.
She finally overcame her fear and tried "carrying" them. I could tell she was really cautious. Right after she handed the owl over to another guest, this owl pooped on that poor girl. Little sis must have rubbed off her bad juju on the other person, haha.

Next, I wanted to try carrying the big owls. They were hesitant to move. After a few failed attempts by the staff, the owl finally flew and rested on my arm but boy, are they heavy. My arm ached for the rest of the day.

In Singaporean terms, "this owl dam dulan me".
Translation : This owl must really hate me.
Also, I thought this photo was hilarious.

After carrying the owls, little sis and I continued playing with the smaller ones since there was still some time left. It was an hour course to play with the owls for 2000yen per person with a drink. I don't think it's too bad, considering the maintenance for the cafe. Though, I do kind of pity these owls for being locked up in a small room and not being able to fly. It was fun and interesting and definitely an experience, but I don't think I would go again. And the reason why I like owls : 
They look like they're doing a satanic ritual hahaha.

We were both hungry after leaving the cafe, so we decided to get some coffee at Light Up Coffee. It was just 15 minutes away from the owl cafe. The coffee was good but too light for little sis's and my taste. The decor at the cafe was really nice though, they had several art prints on the wall and a shelf full of books by artists I like. 

I haven't been to this side of Kichijoji, so it was fun exploring it with little sis. There were a lot of unique home decor and furniture shops. 
Light Up Coffee
The only donuts I like! We got some after coffee.
I really liked this home decor store, it was their factory outlet so everything was pretty cheap!

This store had a lot of unique plates, clocks, spoons and all the housing equipment. I'm pretty sure they are all individually hand-made. Little sis bought a mug and really cool clock made of stone from here. I really enjoyed looking at the craftsmanship and detail of the stuff here. Sadly, no photos inside of the store.

Once we were done with this street, we crossed over to a street that I was more familiar with. I brought little sis to a store I always go to whenever I'm in Kichijoji. It's an art store on the first floor and a gallery on the second. They always change the artists every week, so I never know what I will find here.


I immediately fell in love with these wood sculptures when I laid eyes on them. They are small, probably the height of your index finger but I really loved the ~feel~ I got when I look at them. In the end, I bought two and they are happily standing on my desk now. This artist does wood carvings and I love the mystical looking creatures he creates. I want to collect more of his work! 

It feels like all his creatures come from another planet where heroes and magic exists. 


Little sis and I had some time to kill before meeting my friends for dinner, so we went back to Nakano Broadway to search for even more vintage anime goods. It was a success, she finally managed to find a Rurouni Kenshin A4 poster, and I found a Fushigi Yuugi poster at a shop selling anime cells. The ones we found were cheap too, only 500yen. 

Contented with our finds, we slowly made our way back to Kichijoji to the Okinawa izakaya I went a couple of weeks ago with Furo and Nan. I wanted little sis to meet both of them because they are really funny together. We spent the rest of the evening with the both of them just talking about anything mostly. Little sis commented that they have very intellectual conversations and could tell why they are my friends, haha.

The Okinawan food was really good but I had an allergy reaction the next day. My whole face was red and covered in rashes. I had to wear a mask out for the next couple of days. Nan also had the same allergy reaction and we both think it must be something in the sauce at that izakaya because the others were fine.

We always end up staying at izakayas for too long, we finally left Kichijoji at close to midnight. It was such a loooonnng day but a day well spent.


No comments:

Post a Comment