Monday 25 May 2015

220. gnossienne

On Saturday, I met up with my classmates, Mo and Otchiko, in Shibuya because all of us wanted to go to Kawasaki to check out an arcade, its called Anata no Warehouse and it's known to mimick the slums of Hong Kong. The original one is in Kowloon, Hong Kong. It was pretty cool and we had fun playing darts, pool, some shooting games and some other retarded games we could find. (I would probably post photos and write in more details in another post because it is not going to suit later half of this post)

We spent about 3 hours there and plan to go back again some time this week. Mo and I headed to Roppongi after that because we wanted to check out different exhibitions but it was at the same place. He went to the Star Wars exhibition are Mori Art Museum while I went to A/D Gallery just next to it.

I've been wanting to go to Aquirax Uno's DEUX LIVRES exhibition since I discovered it was going on. The exhibition is over now and I'm glad I went to it. There were a lot of new work by him and I fell in love with a couple of them. The gallery was quite small but it was okay since you don't have to pay to view his work. I would say there were about 20 pieces and a couple of sculptures as well.

Upon arriving, you'll see this display of some oddities before entering the gallery.


The gallery itself was just painted plain white with all his work in frames hung on the wall. I thought it was a little too plain for my taste and wished he would have painted on the walls as well but most artists don't do that because its too much work. But I always thought if I had my own exhibition I would want to decorate the whole space nicely, so you'll really feel like you are in my world.

I really did enjoy some paintings like the one just below, I actually like that there's a fish tail and arm sticking out of the wall. The second piece is actually the print I have on my bag I purchased at another exhibition in Shibuya. One of the things I really liked about some pieces were the little drawings he cut out and pasted on. Those were actually my favorite, I would stare at those drawings for a little while before moving onto the next piece. 

Also, what I really thought was interesting was he used correction fluid on some works. He uses mainly ballpoint pen, so I guess some of them had mistakes and he would cover it up with correction fluid. For me, I would just start over because it looks messy, but somehow, it works for his pieces.

The next two are my absolute favorites from this exhibition. It's always got to be girls sleeping... I draw most of my inspiration from dreams and that place where dreams can only take you so I really enjoy paintings that are of girls sleeping. To me, she could be having a really lovely dream or a nightmare and you'll never know. Funny enough, I haven't drawn any girls asleep because I love drawing the eyes too much, I've always loved drawing them the most out of everything since I was a kid. 

I was surprised there were sculptures at the exhibition as well because I haven't seen him make any of them, but his sculptures actually remind me and have the "feel" of a song called Romance by Buck Tick. I guess that's also why he did the art for their 17th album, Razzle Dazzle. He also did some album art for Shiina Ringo a couple of years ago.



I wish they sold prints of the sleeping girls. The original isn't that expensive, 183,000 yen per piece but I'm a poor student so I can't afford it. If I had the money, I would have bought it instantly. Hopefully in the near future, he would release this series of work into a book. I really enjoyed this exhibition and I'm glad I could take photos of it because I can't stop staring at the sleeping girls. Here's Buck Tick's Romance, I think it suits his work really well.


After I was done with the exhibition, I went to HARBS to get some cake while waiting for Mo. We met up again at about 8 and went to Shibuya for sushi and met up with Otchiko again for Shisha. This time we tried white peach and mojito mint, which were really good. It's nice to chill with them every now and then, but they are already leaving next month so I try to go out with them when I don't feel too tired or if it's not for drinking. I really don't enjoy drinking that much honestly.

This week was nice because I went to two exhibitions and feel like myself again. In other good news, my visa is approved and I get to stay another two years here. I was waiting for the green light to go buy an easel and other furniture, and since it looks good now, I'll head to the art supply store to pick up an easel. So happy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment