Tuesday 12 May 2015

216. another song about the weekend

May 9th, 2015


Saturday was the Mad Ollie Spring 2015 music x skateboarding festival at Shinkiba Studio Coast. The last time I was at Shinkiba was in December for a normal show but this time, there was an outdoor and indoor stage and even a skateboarding ramp in the middle of the indoor stage area. There were a ton of booths around for mostly skateboarding brands like Volcom, Subciety etc. I think they made good use of the small area around the live house, with some food booths as well as band merchandise around the outdoor stage.

 The first band playing for the day at the indoor stage was Crystal Lake. They started at 2pm and opened to Matrix, followed by Beloved, Twisted Fate, Rollin' and closed to The Fire Inside. They put on a good show as always, and this was my first time seeing them on a big stage. The mosh pit was still brutal and I got kicked really hard on the hips and now there are bruises there. 

After they were done, I was walking around until I heard Survive Said The Prophet playing and went to the outdoor stage. I think their songs are catchy and good in general but I'm not a fan of their music. I really enjoyed If You Really Want To though! We were just chilling around and decided to check out Swanky Dank's set half way through. We went in just in time when Ryo (CL) came to do guest vocals on Monster. Swanky Dank's set was surprisingly good, they sound more towards pop rock but had great energy and good vocals on stage. 

There was nothing much to do but to sit around, smoke, look at merchandise or talk to people while waiting for bands to play. Laura would introduce me to people occasionally, and we would talk a little here and there. I was watching Artema from the side and was okay with the first half of their set until they started playing songs with autotuning and electro music. Still not a fan of that. 

We hang around some more till it was time for Namba 69 to play at the indoor, I enjoyed their set even though it was pop punk, but it had a heavier sound. One song in particular looked like it was fun to mosh to because there was clapping in it as well. Someone passed out in the middle of their set, and the singer of the band came down to check what happened after they finished playing. I was rushing to the outdoor stage to catch Loyal To The Grave.

The last time I saw them was also in December, and one of the reasons why I enjoy their set is because of the mosh pit. Their mosh pit is the most brutal I have seen yet in Japan. This time, I almost fell but someone caught me from the back. The guitarist of Artema was really funny during the moshing because his shoe came off and he was trying to wear it and someone would mosh towards him and he threw his shoe at that person, LOL. I was laughing so hard at that. After LTTG's set was over, Laura and I were just hanging around the merch booths talking to people. I wanted to watch The Bonez but ended up missing them because of talking, haha.

We managed to watch the last band of the day, FACT. I haven't really listened to much of their music but they're really big in this scene, so I was just curious to see how good they are. I was impressed by their live set, especially on some songs where they had extra instruments like the didjeridoo, which is an Australian Aboriginal musical instrument (the famous long tube like looking thing) and some percussion drums. Their set was too short and not even being a fan, I wanted at least another song. 

It started to rain when we were leaving Studio Coast, at least it didn't rain during the day! I had a lot of fun at Mad Ollie because of the people I met and bands I watched. Hopefully, there will be more shows for me to go to, so I can check out new music. 


No comments:

Post a Comment