Friday 22 May 2015

219. escape route


I met up with Laura on Thursday after class in Daikanyama because both of us wanted to check out qta3's Intellect of ignorance exhibition at Aquvii Gallery. Q-TA is a collage artist based in Tokyo, I don't know his real name, but I have been following him on instagram for over a year now and have always enjoyed his work. I loved to do collages when I was still in college but haven't ever since, it would be nice to start again.

Aquvii is both a shop and gallery, the shop is located on the first floor and the second floor holds a really small gallery space, you can easily see the short flight of stairs connecting to the second floor once you walk in. I didn't expect to like Aquvii as I do now, it kind of reminds me of my favorite shop in Odaiba, Strange Love.

I arrived slightly earlier than Laura, but I waited for her to arrive to view the exhibition. I took individual photos of pieces I really liked. Also, I love how they decorated this shop. Look at all the teddy bears on the steps!



I really loved his works that had the human anatomy in them, most of his work looks like he collected a ton of vintage magazines or newspaper just for it. We spent quite some time viewing his work, and after we were done, we spent even more time in the shop just to look at other stuff. They were also displaying some other artists' work, and they even had tobird's (THE NOVEMBERS album cover artist) merchandise.



Honestly, it felt so nice to be looking at some art or at least things I like again. Lately, I have been spending so much time doing what other people want and it's tiring. After we were done, we walked around Daikanyama for a little bit before going for dinner. Initially, we wanted to go to Camden's Blue Star Donuts also in Daikanyama just because they had a creme brulee flavoured donut, but when we got there all the donuts were already sold out. It's located on Daikanyama's new Log Road Mall, which really reminded me of Australia. They had several breweries and cafes as well. We stumbled upon a Blythe Doll shop on the way.


This pink castle mansion just next to Log Road really resembles The Grand Budapest Hotel! Laura and I were really excited about it, we were taking tons of photos. We walked around quite a bit and was hopping around cafes before settling for one nearer to the station. I had green curry with rice and she had pho.

While we were having dinner, I spotted a tanuki on the wire. I don't know the right word to use? Climbing on it, running on it? It looked more like running to me. Laura got excited and decided to take a video. My neighbour told me that he has lived in Japan for 10 years and he's only seen a tanuki twice. So I guess we got lucky? After dinner, we walked to Harajuku because I needed to get coffee to stay up (result of writing this entry at 5 in the morning) to study for my test later. We ended up, as usual talking too much and only left Shibuya at about 11pm. 

Classes and people have been wearing me out lately. I need more time to let my mind rest and stay in or at least if I don't stay in, do things that I like. All I want to listen to nowadays is classical music, as strange as it sounds. Like I said in my last entry, it has been the most calming thing that I've been doing lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment