Wednesday 31 December 2014

191. muzic fourteen

13 shows, 4 music festivals, 37 bands, that's 2014 in music for me.

This year was way more eventful for me because I didn't only stick to going to mostly lynch. shows, like in 2013. Also, because of the new people in my life I've been more open-minded about music once again which makes me happy. I haven't been looking for new bands to listen to in a long time because I was so satisfied with just 2 bands in my life. I wouldn't even be writing this entry if I didn't feel like it was an awesome year with music. Here's my top (personal) list of  bands I really loved this year.

5. Arctic Monkeys at Summersonic Tokyo



I've never really been a big fan of Arctic Monkeys, I stopped listening to them after Favourite Worst Nightmare. Little sis is the one who has always been in love with them but she even agreed that Humbug and Suck It and See were bad albums. Their 2013 release, AM saved them for me. It's not as good as their first two albums but I can listen to AM on repeat for nights. It's the kind of record you want to just chill out to late at night.

Their set at Summersonic was really long, I think it was over an hour and they played my favourites like - Knee Socks, Old Yellow Bricks and 505. I screamed when they played 505. Alex Turner has the smoothest voice I have ever had live and never missed a note, of course, they are not like my typical hardcore/heavy bands with lots of energy on stage or moshing but I enjoyed their set so much, singing along to most songs and just getting lost in music. If I can say that, they're that good. Plus, I was actually eating chicken rice watching them, lol. Eating my favorite thing ever and watching a band? Yes Please.

4. A Fire Inside at The Epsy, Melbourne


AFI has been my favorite band since I was sixteen and nothing can change that. The day I saw them for the first time in 2010, they blew my mind like no other band has ever had. With their release of Burials in 2013, I was excited to see them again after 4 long years. Their show at The Epsy was a good one, to be honest it was not as good as the first time I saw them but them opening to The Leaving Song Part II really did brought me back in time and I felt really nostalgic seeing them play. Their set at Soundwave in Melbourne was good but Davey had vocal problems that day and some of the songs were out of tune (I actually recorded it, lol.) I think it was just one of those off days for him.

3. Crossfaith at Summersonic/Across The Future at Club Citta


I am cringing a little writing this band's name down. Until this day, they have failed to make me fall in love with their music but they were successful enough to make me fall in love with watching them live. The first time I ever saw them was at (also) Summersonic in 2013. I wasn't a fan of them either was just in the crowd for such a stupid reason.

But... seeing them play at Summersonic with songs like Countdown To Hell and The Evolution (the only song I like from them), bought me over. Wall of Death, circle pits? Yes please. Even little sis till also this day, have no interest in them agreed with me that they are really good live and we could actually see why they're becoming bigger internationally. 

I got invited to their Across The Future (Tour Final) at Club Citta in Kawasaki later on, a month later. The lighting for this show was seriously impressive, the band was even better. I didn't know any songs but enjoyed their set... also maybe because I enjoyed staring at the bassist a little too much, haha.

2. Crystal Lake at Daikanyama UNIT (CUBES Tour Final)



This band unlike the last one has been very successful in making me go head over heels for their music and even more so for their live shows. If I wasn't biased at all, this show would have been my #1. Ironically, the reason why I started listening to Crystal Lake was because someone from the band above told me to listen to Beloved. Instantly fell in love.

This show though, it was insanity. I have never seen a crowd that wild for any band in such a long time. Everything about this show was A+, the band, the fans, the venue. Everything. Circle pit, mosh pit, crowd surfing, mic snatching, 2 step, stage dives, everything. As soon as they opened, everyone went crazy. I still have goosebumps thinking about how fucking good this show was. I didn't even know most songs and my mind was blown. It's not even AFI blown anymore, it's mind blown 2.0.

My love for this band has been growing rapidly and they are my second favorite band right now. I guess one of the reasons why I have fallen in love with Crystal Lake is because they kind of bring me back to the person I once was. Going to underground shows, in that scene. I used to be at a lot of shows like theirs (not the live performance but that scene) back when I was younger in Melbourne and Singapore but stopped ever since I was with my first boyfriend (he's too indie) and loving lynch. I still love lynch. so much and they are still my favorite band. But it's refreshing to go back to my roots (kinda) but in a new place where it's become my second home that I love so much. I will definitely be going to see this band a lot in 2015, I promise myself this.

1. lynch. at Shibuya AX ( TO THE GALLOWS -absolute xanadu-)


This was my actual view, lol.

Who else did you expect? Well, out of the 6 times this year I have seen this band, this one was the best one emotionally and live for me. TO THE GALLOWS #2 -SHOUT AT THE DEVIL- in Osaka comes at a close second, followed by The 10th BIRTHDAY.

lynch. never fails to make me happy. There's just something about their music that I connect with emotionally, they hit all the right spots for me musically, live, so many things. Also for this show, I was so excited to see them play their latest album GALLOWS. It's so much heavier than their previous stuff when it was already heavy to begin with. This setlist was the best for me, all my absolute favorites which they play sometimes and some not at all. Like EXODUS, GUILLOTINE, ENVY, an illusion and THIS COMA. 

Also after not seeing them for 4 months and coming back to see them play an illusion and THIS COMA made me all teary eyed because those are my absolute favorite songs from them and I have never seen them play it ever.

The crowd for this show was one of the best too, Osaka was the best followed closely by Nagoya then this. The energy for the band this day also was the highest I've seen them. Probably it's because it's the last at Shibuya AX (it closed down in May) and excited to play new songs. 

I loved their Osaka show because I had little sis with me and I just got another lynch. tattoo and they chose to play an illusion then. It was such a nice way to remember that crazy week and tattoo. The 10th Birthday was because they played another two songs I've been dying to see live, MAZE and LIE. I was so freakin' happy.

Hazuki still is my favorite vocalist. I'm just biased down to the core and will always side this stupid band. They've been holding the number 1 spot for me for the past three years and I don't think they will move away anytime soon. Like I always say, I love them no less. 


Also, other mentions - I finally got to see Bring Me The Horizon after so many times of missing them but they disappointed me. 

Panic! At The Disco did really bring me back to the days when I was still with my first boyfriend because he used to tour with them. Weirdly, Brendon Urie is doing way better without bandmates, their set was so fun~ singing with so much nostalgia honestly.

Lastly, Girugamesh. I've been wanting to see them for so long, and stopped listening to them for quite some time but their latest EP made me like them again. They are a pretty fun band live but not something I would want to go to all the time. 

I honestly don't think 2015 can get any better than this, but I hope at least I can see my two bands - lynch. and Crystal Lake a ton next year. My plans are all up in the air right now but I'm already thinking of ways to see all these bands (and new bands) again.

No comments:

Post a Comment