Thursday 25 December 2014

187. the secret of kells

 

I've fallen madly in love with The Secret of Kells. The opening of this film was already so breathtaking I just sat in front of the screen fully immersed in this world. Each frame of this animation is heavily detailed, sometimes I would re-watch parts just so I can study everything in that particular frame.

The story is based on Irish folklore, which also is another win for me because I love folklores, especially Scandinavian ones because you don't come across it very often or maybe - not at all. So anything from it makes it more special for me. 

My favorite parts of this film is when Aisiling, a fairy living in the woods, shows Brendan where to get the berries he needs to make ink and when she turns Aidan's cat, Pangur Ban, into spirit form to retrieve a key. Those parts were absolutely dreamy and I wish I was part of that world.

The story somehow reminds me a little of Attack on Titan because it is "dangerous outside these walls". It is a little over an hour and worth every second of my time. It's so beautifully animated that I'm in such awe of all the artwork in this, also you can see traces of watercolour paint used in certain backgrounds. 

This is another reason why I love animated films and choose watching this anytime over some sappy love story that probably gives girls false ideas of love. Believe me when I say I'm not interested in romantic films, the most romantic one to me is Moonrise Kingdom. 

I'm probably going to watch this 98443783278 times and re-fall in love with it every single time.

No comments:

Post a Comment