Tuesday 16 December 2014

183. mahakala, crystal lake

14th December was Crystal Lake's CUBES Tour Final show at Daikanyama UNIT. I met up with Laura at a cafe near the station before we headed to the venue. It didn't take long at all to get in, we got our drinks and waited around before the opening band took the stage.

Crystal Lake took the stage at about 7.30pm and opened to Ups & Downs, followed by Mahakala. At that point I was kind of freaking out because they hardly play Mahakala and also because I wanted to record a video, haha. I'm kind of bummed that I didn't record the first verse because it's my favorite part of the song,  forever you will rest in peace.



Since I've only recently started listening to them, I've only listened to their latest EP, CUBES. They played quite a number of old songs like Openwater, Overcome and Endeavor next. I honestly enjoyed watching this band so much, their fans are insanely awesome as the band. So many stage dives, circle pits and crowd surfing. I especially enjoyed fans running onto the stage and doing backing vocals for The Fire Inside. "We are not the fucking dead!" Fans pulling the vocalist into the crowd, snatching his mic and screaming into it. I haven't seen anything like this in such a long time because I only kept going to see lynch., so it was such a nice change of crowd, scene and music.

I was actually really surprised the crowd was 90% male, I could actually count the number of girls there. That's a first. They played for a little over an hour, with 15 songs. They had a couple of special guests performing with them on certain songs also like Rollin', Matrix, Daylight and Into The Great Beyond which their former vocalist performed with them.

(okay I'm cheating, I only know all the song titles because I got the set list lol.)

But even without knowing any of their old songs, I really enjoyed them. I think this is one of the rare times that a band can buy me over so easily, but they are fucking amazing live and I think their fans also add up to why this show was so good. Both the energy of the band and fans are incredible. I was really surprised they played See This Through the non acoustic version. I love the acoustic version but hardcore version is wayyyyyyy better. The last few songs were Beloved and The Fire Inside. The encore songs were Cubes and Twisted Fate.

It's been a long time since I've written about a band like this, that is not lynch. , haha.  I think the only other band I did was AFI but they have been my favorite band since I was 16. I think Crystal Lake is slowly sliding into the number 3 spot of my top favorite bands. I'm really glad I chose to come to this show as well. I was pretty hesitant at first but decided I really wanted to after seeing them at knotfest. I'm also glad I had company with me at the show. Because honestly, going to shows alone all the time is kind of boring.

So many great bands I've seen this year. There's still one show left for this year and I'm so excited to see my ultimate favorite band at their 10th anniversary show.

No comments:

Post a Comment