Sunday 21 December 2014

185. amélie




Without you, today's emotions would be the scurf of yesterday's.
~
Le fabuleux  destin d'Amélie Poulain(2001)

After years of seeing this film pop up in my suggested lists, friends and even my lecturers back in art college telling me about this film, I finally sat down to watch this a couple of weeks ago just before December arrived. 

Immediately - the opening of this film already caught my attention. I like how the narrator tells you about the eccentric likes and dislikes of Amelie's parents, I was sold the very moment they were describing little Amelie. The whole film centres around Amelie who spends most of her time alone, but developed an active imagination and fantasy to cope with her loneliness. 

I could relate in some sense because I always do that when I'm alone for too long. 

I think the part I enjoyed most of this film was when she talks to an old man with glass bones living in the building next to hers, the part where he talks about paintings and how it is so very (very) difficult to get the right expression out of the characters in his paintings. Also, I love the little "scavenger" hunt she did for the guy she is interested in.  I thought it was funny that he liked collecting torn up photographs from machines and putting them back together, I guess this was what made Amelie like him too. 

A lot of things I love about this film, each character has a depth and is well thought of and acted out. I'm definitely going to buy the Blu-ray once I get back home. I think another thing that makes this film so delightful to watch is because it's in French and the language is so foreign to me that it's actually so pleasant to my ears, oddly.

I have been discovering a good number of films when H was on tour, his favorite film is Little Miss Sunshine but I've yet to see it. It also looks like I won't have time for the rest of the year to actually spend time watching films, I'm trying to post all the good things about 2014 and actually am having a hard time collecting each memory because too much has happened this year. Hopefully I can squeeze in some time to write my personal notes on another animation film that I've completely fallen in love with.

 Next week looks like it's pretty packed and going to be crazy. The last weekend of 2014 is going to good, I can feel it. I really hope I will continue writing good things until the year ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment