Friday 29 November 2013

113. to melt into

After getting back from Nagoya last Thursday, I had to rush off to meet Elaine to get my tickets to see THE NOVEMBERS. In the end, I went alone because she actually lost one of the tickets and wanted to see Sir Paul Mccartney instead. I don't blame her, come on, it's one quarter of The freakin' Beatles.

So, I went to meet her near her office and went off to Shibuya to get a quick dinner and got to FEVER 30 minutes before the show started. Honestly, I didn't know what to expect because indie music and its' culture is so different from my usual rock/metal shows. I was actually curious to see what the fans were like. She was already telling me beforehand what to expect.

So, when I arrived, there were already so many people waiting outside FEVER. I was amazed by the number of guys that were at the show, I would say almost half of them were guys. Some of them, you could totally tell were trying to be Takamatsu or Kobayashi wannabes. But to be honest, I like the vibe more at indie shows because everyone is so chill and I love the way most of them dressed. I'm such a simple person when it comes to dressing, I just like it all black, plain and layering - which most of them were decked out like this. The only thing that made me stood out was because I was wearing my DEATHGAZE shirt, I had no choice though, I didn't have time to go back and change.

The girls were also not bitchy at all. These girls next to me were so cute, they were talking among themselves but I could hear them, they were saying how I was a "bijin" and how the guys probably would talk to me. But really, they didn't. Some guys just kept staring which I found annoying to be honest. I always get this in Japan.

The ticket number Elaine gave me was like a priority number kinda thing, so I got in really fast and managed to stand in the third row infront of Kobayashi. I was happy because I like him the most out of the band.

It didn't take long to start, I thought I was over them because I really am not into their recent stuff, but when they took the stage I was sooooooo happy. It's a different kind of happy compared to lynch., but THE NOVEMBERS are also my favorite band. I always had a habit of loving two bands at a time, one heavy and one softer.

They opened to melt, and it was so dreamy and everything I felt all the time listening to them was just right in front of me. They sounded so good live too, even if the sound system sucked. Kobayashi's voice is so much more dreamier live than on the cds. I thought I would be bored at their live but when they got to the faster songs, like 永遠の複製, 彼岸で散る青, was fun to sway to them.

Elaine was telling me earlier how all the girls like Takamatsu and I just couldn't see why, because she's also one of those girls. But when I saw him coming on to the stage, I was surprised because he looks so much cuter in real life and like a typical indie prince. So you can tell why all the girls like him. Really, photos don't do him any justice.

I thought they were good for an indie band because all the indie bands I've seen are boring as hell. They don't move at all, but THE NOVEMBERS did move and you can tell how much Kobayashi and Kengo were into the music. They did a covers of dip and Nirvana. During some of their songs, especially 再生の朝, I actually closed my eyes and just listened to them. I felt like I was floating on a cloud, in my dreams. They played for exactly 2 hours, since they were only playing songs from (Two) into holy and To (melt into), I was happy they played my favorites and am even happier they played these albums because it was around this era that I fell in love with them.

-setlist-
1.melt
2.瓦礫の上で
3.37.2°
4.はじまりの教会
5.小声は此岸に響いて
6.夢のあと
7.human flow(dip cover)
8.天井と管
9.日々の剥製
10.STAY AWAY(NIRVANA cover)
11.Louder Than War (2019)
12.永遠の複製
13.ニールの灰に
14.彼岸で散る青
15.終わらない境界
16.holy
17再生の朝


Photo by Daisuke Miyashita


And actually I can see myself in the photo! Haha. After the show, I kind of rushed out of the venue because my back was killing me. I had been carrying all my clothes and stuff I got from Nagoya for the whole day and felt like I was about to drop at any second. I hurried to buy some merch and I'm so happy with them because I've always wanted NOVEMBERS pins/badges for the longest time. Luckily, Shindaita Station is not that far from Shibuya, so I got home quite quickly. Took a hot bath and dropped dead on my bed till the next morning.

I really want to see THE NOVEMBERS again but it's always so hard for me to.

No comments:

Post a Comment