Tuesday 26 November 2013

111. proof, nagoya iii

On Thursday, it was our last day in Nagoya. We got up early because we had to check out at 10am and also because my appointment was at 10.30am. We didn't have time to go anywhere to have breakfast, so we just grabbed some orange juice and onigiri at a nearby conbini and made our way to 8 Ball Tattoo.

When we arrived, Yashin wasn't there yet. The guy that helped us the day before was nice and tried talking to us but we couldn't understand his accent again. I felt so bad. All I could understand was "Nagoya" and "Sakae". Soon, the sound of the motorcycle was getting louder and closer to us, so I thought it must be Yashin and true enough, it was. I like his bike though, it's one of those badass cruiser motorbikes. I can't wait till baby sis gets her license!

He came in and apologised for being late but I really didn't care that much. It was so early (well early for me) in the morning, I excuse almost anyone for being late in the morning because I can never get up early for anything. His hands were numb from riding too fast and it was also cold outside, so we waited a while more till his hands defrosted.

Yuri and I were looking at the tattoo magazines, and there were some with yakuza in them. When Yuri told him about the yakuza, he said it wasn't a real one and took out another book from his studio and said that one had a real one. I thought it was cool. Then Yuri was telling him about how her parents hates tattoos and I said my dad did too and he asked if it was really okay to get the tattoo. And I'm like, argh, I just don't care.

He showed me three designs he did for my tattoo and I was surprised because I got to choose! Yuri and I agreed the third design was nicest, so I stuck to that. After that, he told us to go into his studio. Being in his studio made me miss art college, because everyone had their own studio and we obviously decorated it with things we love. His studio was cool, I love the tiny motorbikes on his computer and almost everything he hanged on the wall. Especially love that he had a bookshelf full of tattoo books from different countries. His bookshelf is similar to mine and made me miss my room back home.

I just love looking at artists' studios. Being an artist myself, I pride myself in decorating my room/studio. I love how much character there is in every artists' studio, for mine it's mostly band logos, musicians, cute things and some of my favorite artists' work. I just love artists' studios. He set up everything and was ready to get started.

Honestly I was a little worried and scared because it was my first tattoo but both Yuri and Yashin told me it wouldn't hurt that much.


It was really quick, like only 10 minutes. I was less painful than I expected it to be. I was really happy with the outcome! <3 When he was done, he was joking about tattoo-ing "Gomenasai Otosan" under my tattoo. lol After that, we just hung around his studio because he said the tattoo would bleed a bit so we had to wait for it before he cleans it off. We were just talking about tattoos in general and he was showing  us books of tattoos from different countries. Yuri told him that I was an artist and showed him some of my work which he said was kawaii but honestly, what do you even expect him to think of it when he does all these yakuza, oni, tattoos? lol I loved the fact that he knew it must have taken me forever to draw all my girls' hair! Everyone always just thinks it so fuckin' easy but it really isn't. I take days sometimes to get it done.

After more talking, we left and said goodbye to Yashin. He told us to come back when we can. I would go back to get another tattoo from him! He's really nice. We went to get some food after because we were starving. We had no idea what to get so we just went to Komeda's. I ended up getting the teriyaki sandwich and Yuri got the burger I had the day before! The teriyaki sandwich was so good! The chicken was cooked nicely and it was so smooth.

After our meal, I ordered a coffee shake just because I wanted to take a picture of how cute the "cup" was, but the coffee shake was soooo goood too. Even Yuri who doesn't like coffee said it was good. It was more milky and sweet rather than bitter usual taste. The shake was so fuckin' smooth. I love it. I'm gonna bring little sis to the one in Tokyo when she comes.


We went straight to the shinkansen because I needed to get to THE NOVEMBERS live at Shimokitazawa, which was at 7pm. We were sad to be leaving Nagoya, and didn't want to actually. The train ride back to Tokyo was much faster than it was to Nagoya weirdly. Yuri ordered some matcha ice-cream and let's say she was really funny about it (inside joke). Haha.

I really really like Nagoya and I'm not being biased because all my favorite bands are from there. It's so different from Tokyo. It's way less crowded and more chill. Also, it's easier to get around Nagoya because everything is less complicated and closer to each other. Sometimes I really feel like I'm wasting so much time travelling around Tokyo. I love the fact that Nagoya really reminds me of Melbourne. I just feel at peace and comfortable there.

Yuri and I are planning on moving to Nagoya in the near future. I hope we really can. Seriously, what is more perfect for me? A little Melbourne in a country I love, Japan? Yes please. 

And as Yuri has already said on her blog, everyone always asks us "What's in Nagoya?!" The honest answer - everything. Well, everything important to me at least.

Mount Fuji on the way back. T'was a lovely day.

1 comment: