Wednesday 6 November 2013

106. maze

Last weekend, Design Festa vol.38 was happening over at Tokyo Big Sight. Initially, I wanted to go on Saturday but I woke up too late, so I went on Sunday. I had free tickets and didn't want to waste them so I went out on my own. It was easy to get to Hamamatsucho of course, but walking to Hinode Pier from the train station was kind of a hassle because it was about 2km away and I wasn't sure where I was going most of the time.

But somehow, after following the signs, I arrived at the passenger terminal and got my tickets for the ferry. I decided to go by ferry since I've never travelled on water in Tokyo before. It was 360yen one way, so 720yen for a round trip. It was kinda nice to experience something new since I've been here so many times.

And... I didn't know you could take a ferry to Odaiba and Palette town as well!

Venus Fort!

It took about half an hour to get to Big Sight, and again, I just followed the signs to the convention hall. I was amazed at how big Design Festa was! There were two storeys, and an outdoor stage, theatre stage and indoor stage. 


These were some murals at the event, it took me about 2 hours to completely look through everything. Of course, I didn't look at every single damn thing. It was interesting because there was a booth that was selling knives but instead of blades, they put in marble instead. The guy that was buying the "knives" had a cool sense of style, tons of piercings, leather jacket, shaved sides but still, tying his hair in a ponytail. I love going to art conventions because you always see interesting people. Probably why I enjoyed going to art college until it got boring, haha.

Also, at some booths, you aren't allowed to take photos. I saw a guy making really cool animal skull jewellery - and mainly, the jewellery was more of my style, silver, detailed patterns. So I ended up talking to him for a bit. He could speak English a little so I was happy, because he was kinda cute with his long hair tied back, wearing an apron doing his craft. Next to him was a more ~visual~ booth, the guys dressed up in visual kei. 

In the end, the stuff I bought were mostly art pieces. But I was happy since it was cute when some of the girls were really trying to explain to me things in English. I need to brush up my Japanese -_-

Basically, they had art, craft, fashion, sculpture and photography at the event. So I did enjoy myself even if I was alone and lost in a sea of people. It was nice talking to new people and getting some inspiration.








After looking around for over 2 hours, I decided to leave because my legs were getting tired. So, I went to walk around outside the convention halls and saw this!


Pretty cool though, and the bikes and scooters were cute as well. I slowly made my way back to Ariake Terminal to get back to Hamamatsucho. Luckily, I left at the right time, once I stepped onto the platform, the ferry arrived. If I missed it, I would have to wait another hour.


I went straight to Shibuya once arriving at Hamamatsucho, I was craving pasta, so I went to Silkream :), after that it was spending some time at Tower Records and going to 109 men's to get some industrial piercing jewellery. And slowly walked to down to Harajuku because I wanted to get the cardigan at LAD Musician. 

Once I arrived at LAD, I was pretty intimated to even walk in because it was filled with guys. I mean I know already it's a clothing store for guys... so. I walked around for a bit more and just told myself "fuck it" and finally went into the store. The piece that I wanted was still there! I was worried because their A/W line had just came in. The staff was nice enough to help me try on the cardigan that I wanted but actually it's a cape like thing. I love it and the staff that helped me was cute, haha. So I finally decided to buy it since it was the last piece. T__T Why is everything I want always the last piece?

The guy was talking to me about some stuff since he could speak english really well, and he gave me some free stuff too! Yay for free stuff! After that, I walked around Harajuku a little more. I was lazy to go into LaForet and the other shops so I just left for Ikebukuro.

At Ikebukuro, all I wanted to do was go to animate to check out the Shingeki No Kyojin/Attack on Titan merch that baby sis wants. Apparently, all the cute Levi and Mikasa stuff was sold out -__- So, I ended up getting nothing. Plus it was really crowded, so I just decided to go back to my apartment since there was nothing else left to do.

Walking out of animate to the intersection, I bumped into this guy that I thought was cute at the Design Festa. He turned towards my direction as well and saw me while I was walking. I didn't know what to do because I'm such an awkward penguin when it comes to situations like this. >< But in the end, he tapped on my shoulder and started speaking to me in Japanese and I got even more confused and told him I'm not Japanese. I was getting ready to see him walk away when he started speaking english T__T It's not that fluent but I give him credit for trying. So we were at the side of the road talking for a bit about the Design Festa and he's also a struggling artist like me. Haha. So, he asked for my line id and added me and now he's been talking to me about art stuff since Sunday.

It's weird though,  I really don't meet anyone back in Singapore, but here, I feel like I can meet a lot of people. And what are the odds of seeing him at Tokyo Big Sight hours ago and being so far away and bumping into him again at Ikebukuro, later on the same day? I don't know what my life is trying to do to me while I'm in Japan but I'm really enjoying it so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment