Wednesday 18 November 2015

259. the five hundred

The weekend was so relaxing, I intended to go to a flea market in Chofu but my friend had to cancel in the end. I figured, well, I should just chill at home then, besides, it was raining really heavily on Saturday. I spent the weekend painting and just resting. I've been busy lately and it felt nice to be at home for two whole days.

After class on Monday, Jaz and I made our way to Roppongi because we both wanted to check out Takashi Murakami's The 500 Arhats exhibition at Mori Art Museum. We grabbed a quick bite at Tokyo Midtown and there was the same illumination at the back of it again, the same as last year's.


After that we made our way to Roppongi Hills and went to Mori Art Museum. We spent quite a while at the exhibition actually. There were 4 three meter-high, 100 meter-long- paintings of the arhats of Buddha, some large sculptural pieces  and abstract paintings as well. Other than the long cultural paintings, there were also paintings of his characters. I can't remember all their names but I enjoyed his exhibition, there were some hits and misses for me. Jaz wasn't as impressed because she prefers his old style. 

*This is going to be a photo heavy post. I was surprised we were allowed to take photos of the art this time because all the times I have been to Mori Art Museum or actually most museums and exhibitions in Japan, we're not allowed to take photos so I'm glad we were allowed.



I really enjoyed his sculptures as well. The details were crazy and very huge. I wouldn't say I am a big big fan of Murakami's work but I do like how his work is always so colorful and crazy, they can also be cute and psychedelic at the same time. I know he works in a "superflat" style, a style he created. Like I already mentioned in my earlier posts, he is best known for his collaboration with Louis Vuitton for non-art people.

This is his first major solo exhibition in Japan since 2001. I have seen some of his smaller work before in Singapore and never really fancied his work that much but after going to this exhibition, I'm beginning to like his work more. I still prefer Yoshitomo Nara's work, but that's just my own personal taste. 

There was a room filled with making-ofs and short write-ups on his characters of The 500 Arhats paintings. I really liked reading them, my favorite was The Unnamed  Supernatural Beast (I posted it on instagram), he looks like a really chill dude.  There was even one inspired by Princess Mononoke's Forest Spirit.

A room only dedicated to his "cute" characters. I think it was much better seeing his work on a large scale honestly. The ones I saw in Singapore were really small and barely showed much of what Murakami is about. I'm glad I decided to move to Japan, it only brings more good things and positivity into my life. 

Jaz and I mainly took a long time at the exhibition because we would stop at almost every painting and discuss about how it's made and how it is too "busy" or what we don't like about the work. Finally talking to someone about in-depth terms of art has been refreshing for my mind, really. There's always a conflict happening in my mind.

I love my music, so I have friends who I can talk to about music, the in-depth terms too but my music friends are not in-depth with art. They like it but they don't breathe it like I do obviously. Then, I have my art friends who obviously I can talk to about art but they don't like music. For me, I can't live without the other. I can't do art without music and I can't listen to music without doing art. It's been hard to balance out all these years but I'm trying to see the good of it. 


I really like how the smoke is painted here, like most Chinese paintings, I always loved how the clouds are painted. Ironically, my Chinese name has a cloud in it. Jaz actually thought of a good logo for me since she designs as well. Actually, I have never thought of using my Chinese name as a logo and now when I think about it, it suits my work a lot. So, I will get back to that.

The make-of room.

I liked these two write ups the most,  and there was a divine creature who devours nightmares. I love that term so much, I want to paint something inspired by that. Growing up, I've always listened to my mom tell me folktales so I really enjoyed this section of the exhibiton. 

After we were done with the exhibition, we went to the store to get some merchandise. I only got a small plush because I have been wanting it everytime I come to Mori Art Museum. His name is Waruikoto-kun by Takashi Murakami. There's even a Iikoto-kun but I prefer Warui because he's black :D

Once, we got to the 3rd floor again, we went to the other museum shop and to my surprise there was another exhibition going on. The same gallery that held Aquinox Uno's Exhibition. I always see this artist's work a lot but I never knew his name, so I was glad to finally see some of his work in person as well, you instantly get happy looking at his drawings of his girl. 


Wisut Ponnimit is a Thai artist who lives in Bangkok and have debuted his work in Japan in 2009. I have seen his work here and there and always thought it was a Japanese girl behind these cute and uplifting illustrations. So I'm pleasantly surprised he's a guy! Nonetheless, I was happy at his exhibition. I bought a notebook for my kanji and a ruler.

After that, Jaz and I were to the other museum shop and she went crazy, lol. Actually we're very similar that way, I spend most of my money on art merchandise and go really crazy when I see something I really like. She was buying gifts for her boss, friends and herself. It was really funny. The only other thing I got was a Yoshitomo Nara pin because that particular girl who drew looks like Little My, haha. 

After all the art, we went to get some dessert and chill a bit before going home. I think I am more comfortable talking to her outside of class. It's funny because we don't really talk to each other during class since we have our own friends but we don't hang out with those friends outside of class or one-on-one. So at least for me, it feels as if I've met her outside as well but of course not. 

This weekend looks like it's going to be very busy. Might go to a couple of shows and meet friends, I'm just relieved Monday is a public holiday so I can rest on that day at least. Since I have had my break from shows, it'll be nice seeing people again.

I've been listening to Blessthefall's latest release, To Those Left Behind on loop. I haven't listened to them in 6 years, since they changed their singer. Not that I like their first singer that much but just haven't bothered listening until the other day at Tower Records. I don't know if their work in between the time is better but for now, I really like this album. There's a certain nostalgia in Beau's clean vocals for me. 

His voice reminds me of all those bands I used to listen to yes, 6 years ago. It kind of makes me feel like a teenager again. So, I really am enjoying this album. Also, why does Condition / / Comatose 's guitar solos sound like Paramore's Decode? Whether it does or not, I still like it. Ah, metalcore, what would I do without you?

No comments:

Post a Comment