Sunday 8 November 2015

256. parallels

Yesterday I met up with Jaz at Nakano because we both wanted to go to James Jean's Zugzwang exhibition curated by Takashi Murakami. There was actually a book signing at 4pm but we were both busy so we went for the opening reception instead. I've never been to an opening reception so it was a good experience.

So, we made our way to Nakano Broadway, and there was a crowd outside Hidari Zingaro as we went in. It was really crowded and there were cameras around. The exhibition was really amazing, I have been a big fan of James Jean's work for years so I was really happy to see his work for the first time in person. Jaz said she has seen his work several times since she went to the same art university as him. It was funny because she was telling me how everyone in her school wanted to be like him (I mean, actually I would too. The guy is mad talented.) and used the pens he used. She told me that the quality of the tools he uses are really A* or maybe even S for Super.

Listening to her talking about the art in the U.S. makes me feel as if there are so much more opportunities there, it was nice to know though because I know no one in the art scene there.

This piece is actually painted on 12 copper panels and is the biggest piece at the show. The first piece on the right is actually Yayoi Kusama inspired, because there's dots and the furry things she makes all the time. Actually I didn't notice it, Jaz pointed it out and the piece was even named after her, "Yayu". I love the attention to details in James Jean's pieces and I especially love the lines in them, I really wish I can draw like that. 

Since it was so crowded at the gallery, I couldn't get photos of all his work. I would probably go back and look at his work another time before it ends so I can absorb everything and get inspiration from there. 

After the exhibition, Jaz and I decided to go around Nakano Broadway because she hasn't been there before. I'm starting to fall in love with Nakano Broadway honestly. I love how there are so many interesting shops, and it's not only because of the design of them but also the things they sell. All the obscure art that I really love and reblog on tumblr are mostly sold there and I can even find old merchandise from Ghibli and a lot of 80's anime which I really love. 

I really love the 80's to early 90's Japanese anime and art, there's a certain feel to it that I can't seem to get enough of. We went around all stories of the building and it was fun because I got to discover new shops.
if you zoom in on the UFO catchers, it's actually NSFW toys and figurines.

All the Mandarake shops are nicely themed and the design and decor, just love. I especially love this one :
The lighting in this shop is really good for photographs and selfies, perhaps? I love how the entrance looks like Fushimi Inari shrine in Kyoto. They even sell old signs, like Osaka's famous Gilico man from the 80's (I think, could be older) is going for 60,000 yen. I don't know why, but whenever I get to see vintage toys I immediately feel happy. 

After we were done exploring Nakano Broadway, we went to get sushi at O1O1 nearby, we didn't do anything much but just sit and talk till it was about 11pm. It was nice talking to someone about art again since none of my friends here are into it. Liking it and actually doing art are two completely different things. A mind of an artist works very differently, I don't know how to explain it. I have never felt lonely in Tokyo but I am very lonely when it comes to art if I make sense? 

I don't have anyone to talk to about it or even understand the terms of it. So, I'm really glad to have Jaz around. She said she feels the same too and she hasn't been doing anything art-related till yesterday. Talking to her makes me miss my college days to some extent, it was so easy to explain to her what our projects or critiques were like. It was also nice to hear stories from her college days. We're also planning to go to Takashi Murakami's exhibition at Mori Art Museum because she really likes his work. I look forward to that.

It was a nice break from music also, I always want to talk about the bands I listen to or just going to shows in general. You can never have too much of a good thing. Especially for me, if I have too much of it, I'll grow to hate it.

Another thing I am happy about is that Nakano is less than an hour away from my apartment and it's on my way home from class everyday so I can drop by anytime if I feel like I just want to roam around. I'm starting to really explore more of this side Tokyo and I can't wait till my sister comes in February so I can show her all the little gems I have found. 

No comments:

Post a Comment