Tuesday 20 October 2015

249. to the stars

Last week was pretty hectic because I was trying to juggle school, friends and going to shows. On Thursday I ran off right after class to go to lynch.'s show in Yokohama (I will write that in another entry), Friday was Nan's birthday and we went to celebrate with her boyfriend and son after class. Also, I had a test on Friday so I had to study everything in advance and because my memory is so bad, I have to study multiple times. Saturday was my only free day but I had so many chores and study for my kanji test on Monday, it didn't feel like I could relax.

So on Sunday night, I made my way down to Hachioji for Crystal Lake's The Sign tour. Sunday's line up was pretty good with Backdate November, NUMB and Swanky Dank opening up for CL. I met a couple of people before getting into the venue and since it was sold out, it was so packed I couldn't get in. I was stuck at the entrance but lucky me, I bumped into some more people there.

I missed the first half of Backdate November's set because of that. I wanted to see them since I saw them in April and thought they were pretty good. NUMB's set was good and it was fun with people moshing and crowdsurfing. I really liked their last song, T.H.C. = Tokyo Hardcore.

I managed to talk to Senta (vocals) before the show, we were both stuck in the elevator, haha. People seem to be more understanding towards me now because I'm still studying Japanese but a lot people have told me that I've improved since the first time they've met me. I really appreciate when people correct me straight up when I make a mistake because that way I learn faster.

After NUMB was Swanky Dank, I'm not a fan of their music but their set was fun as well. If I liked pop-punk, I would have enjoyed their set I think. Their songs seem fun to mosh and sing along to. Their crowd was pretty good as well, probably because they attract a younger (more energetic) audience. Man, I'm old.
I always forget to take photos at shows. I got so used to not taking photos because normally at lynch. or any other show, you can't but for small shows like this you can. I wish I took more photos. The main act was up next, and they played about close to 9pm opening with Astra and then Prometheus. Their setlist tonight was mostly new songs with their hits from CUBES EP but I'm glad they played Overcome! As usual, they delivered but not the best I have seen of them. I hope their tour final will be better.

Highlight of their set for me was them playing Dreamcatcher, it's my favourite song off their new album. I was pretty bummed they didn't play their cover of Beastie Boys' Body Movin'. 


It was really hot in the venue, so hot to the point the band started giving out water to the crowd. For some reason, it was really humid and it felt as if summer is still here. =__= They closed to The Fire Inside. Ryo's english has improved a lot as well since the first time I met him. I hung around the venue after the show ended for a little while. As always, it was nice seeing familiar faces again. Obviously a very atmosphere compared to when I go to see lynch. 

I enjoyed their show and can't wait to see them play with In Hearts Wake in December, more excited about In Hearts Wake actually. I don't know if I'm being biased because they're Australian, haha. Australia's concert atmosphere is still the best to me. I'm still missing Australia, I really want to go back for a while but it seems kind of impossible. Doesn't help that there's a new student in my class is Australian as well, everytime I talk to him, it makes me miss Melbourne even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment