Wednesday 22 April 2015

212. the fire inside


On Sunday, I went with Laura to see Crystal Lake x Country Yard play at Shinjuku ACB Hall. It was Country Yard's show with Crystal Lake opening for them. They started at almost 7 and opened to (my surprise) Matrix. The had a good set list that day, including (Laura's favorite) Light Up The Tunnel. I was kind of bummed they didn't play Mahakala but was happy they played Ovecome. They closed to The Fire Inside. The crowd on Sunday was more brutal than the last time I saw them at NERDS' Fest. Ryo (vocalist) got kicked in the face several times and me, standing away from the crowd also go hit. It's fun to watch how wild the crowd can get because it made me enjoy their set thoroughly. After starting classes for almost 2 weeks, I felt like I was "losing myself", but seeing them made me feel comfortable in my own skin again. It's strange, when you meet new people that don't really get you, you have to put on this front but when I go to shows I don't have to, and that's what I love about music so much. 

There was a short interval before Country Yard took the stage. To be perfectly honest, I really am not a fan of melodic pop punk, or melodic punk for that matter but Country Yard were really good live with great energy on stage and interacting with the crowd. I've never been to see any melodic punk shows but they had (good? will you call it that?) mosh and circle pits, which I never expected to see coming from a softer sounding band. They played for over an hour and it was really funny because even though I was dazing off after a while, I was actually standing next to Crystal Lake's merchandise table, Ryo (vocals) and Crystal Lake's staff was singing so loudly, it kinda kept me entertained.

Laura and I hung around after the show and talked to the bands for a bit before heading to supper. Since I hardly go to Shinjuku, I don't know where to go, so Laura asked one of her friends for recommendations and we had a nice supper. Unfortunately, we missed our last trains home so we took the train to Shibuya and went to our usual bar where we bumped into another group of Laura's friends and spent the entire night talking to them. It was an entertaining night I would say. We went for a small breakfast and headed home after that. I managed somehow to get up and still go for class the next day.

There's just something about music that I love so much that makes me feel comfortable in my own skin. Sometimes, it gets so hard to stay grounded and remember the reason I'm back for. I'm happy to be back in Japan and can't wait to go to more shows. I seriously can't wait to see lynch. again next month, even though it's a seated show, I feel like that would really make me the happiest.

No comments:

Post a Comment