Wednesday 20 June 2012

014. band tees and whanot

Just the other night, little sis and I were watching MTV in the wee hours of the night when My Doorbell by The White Stripes came on. It suddenly hit us that rock music is dead, once again.

Maybe we're getting older, maybe our taste of music have changed but you can't deny that there hasn't been any solid, good new "rock" band in a while. Sure, you have Foster The People or fun. but that's hardly rock because they're grouped together with the hipster indie shit and it's just getting on my nerves.

I love indie music but this trend just has to go. I can't stand how people are trying to be so "deep" or "different" and how they try to dress up all hipster, indie like and think they're so amazing when in reality, all these people are liking the same things, clothes and bands. They all look the fucking same. I don't know if this applies to Singapore only but this seriously has to stop.

I can't take another person claiming people saying that they're fucking weird when they're just like everyone else. Hi, get real, we're all the same and no matter how "different" you claim you are, you really aren't because there is definitely a group of people that likes the same things as you.

Back to music, I realized the reason why I jumped to J-rock is because over at the Western side, all my favorite bands broke up and those that are still here write about the same petty things or are just producing music for the sake of money or they like to add some computerized, dub-step, auto-tune rubbish. (In my opinion, only the GazettE has done this successfully with TOXIC. Maybe I am biased but VENOMOUS SPIDER'S WEB sounds fucking amazing and makes me want to dance and headbang at the same time.)

And as far as indie go, I used to love Sigur Ros, Death Cab For Cutie and all those indie bands but now everyone is annoying about them so I stopped and jumped to J-indie as well. At least I won't hear people talking about THE NOVEMBERS, Goliath or PLASTICZOOMS on a daily basis and honestly, over at the J-indie side, the boys dress much better with their messy hair and all black get up.

I remember I used to be so proud wearing my band tees just a few years ago and I really miss that part of me.

2009, I still love AC/DC.
2010, and I also still love Iron Maiden.

I can't stand how people wear band shirts and not even know the band. Stupidity, than why buy it? I want to start wearing all my band shirts again but I'll really have to choose wisely which band to wear and I'm not interested in buying any J-rock merch because it's so difficult to find one that I really like and on top of that, it's pricey. I'm happy with the ones my friends in bands send me.

I think I should reinvent my wardrobe again because I'm getting sick of dressing up all girly like. Maybe I will take turns into wearing band tees and pretty dresses, I have too many pretty dresses now.

I want to see a band that can really capture my attention like all those bands did all those years ago. I want to see a band that has so much charisma, I could just cry by watching them live. Bands like AFI, System of a Down, Slipknot or even a band like Mindless Self Indulgence with so much wit in their lyrics. I just want new bands like that.

It's time to go band hunting again.

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about people trying so hard to be different, it tend to get annoying. On a music note, i also haven't seen many bands nowadays. i mostly stick to jrock for the time being because of that. Hopefully you can find some good bands, good luck hunting! And if you find any you like let me know.

    ReplyDelete