Thursday 10 May 2012

005. dim, the gazette

It's been a while since I've been listening to music by albums. I've been listening too much to my what would you call it, rubbish mixture of a playlist. My playlist consists too much of hardcore, heavy, metal sounds because I use that to block out everyone's talking when I'm alone on a bus, train, shopping malls, in public.

And for the past few weeks I've been listening to nothing but softer sounds (9Goats, THE NOVEMBERS). I can't listen to soft music or may I say Indie music for too long, it drives me crazy. I needed my fix of heavy sounds again, and the first thing I wanted to listen to was DIM  by the GazettE.


Listening to this record again reminded me of how much I love the GazettE. I haven't been a fan of Japanese music or Visual Kei for very long, I only discovered this genre last year around June while I was giving up hope on English music because all the new bands were shit and all my favorites disbanded. That was really a depressing time for me.

I can't choose what's my favorite song on DIM because I really really love this album, even the ballads. I'm not a big fan of ballads so that says a lot. But I really do love how Ruki sings about despair and how everything living thing is rotting, dying and fading away in DIM SCENE. I think the band couldn't have ended this album any better. 

The concept of this album itself already draws me in, it's probably one of their darker albums and with me being so lifeless at that time, this album really did suit my mood well.

This record means a lot to me, not only did it "save" me but it also introduced me to a whole new world of music and gave me new inspiration. Without the GazettE, I wouldn't have found some of my now, favorite bands, my life also wouldn't be as interesting as it is, I wouldn't have found PZ either. I can't imagine how my life would be. Just listening to this band makes me so happy.

DIM is also my very first Visual Kei/Japanese album I ever bought. (I got it in Tokyo last year in a CD shop near my hotel.) So yes, this record really means a lot to me.


I can't remember why I chose to listen to the GazettE or how, but I'm just thankful that I did. They are my absolute favorite Japanese band. I still remember the very first time I was Japan, ( then, I still didn't know anything and I mean anything about the music), I walked pass their poster for their tour final to be at Tokyo Dome The Nameless Liberty Six Bullets in Harajuku and thought the band looked cool. Little did I know, 6 months later, this band would mean so much to me. Funny how life works, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment