Thursday 9 February 2017

335. art stage, singapore

January 14th, 2017

It was a Saturday after the day I got back from Melbourne. Little sis and I went out for lunch before heading to Art Stage Singapore. I haven't really spoken to my sister in months because of her new job, so there was a lot of catching up to do. I was glad we both were able to come into agreement with some things and that the both of us are actually in the same boat now, working hard to achieve our goals.

Little sis is so busy with work now that she only has Saturdays off, I didn't mind at all because I have my own things to do during the week. The only thing that makes this difficult is when I go back to Tokyo because we will barely have time to talk to each other again. We'll figure something out, I'm sure.

Art Stage is an Asian contemporary art fair that is held every year over here,  in tiny Singapore. I wanted to go to this year's one because I saw the lineup of artists online and there were a couple of artwork I wanted to check out. Ironic because the art I wanted to view were from Japan.

Little sis and I spent over an hour there, taking our time looking at everything. I probably took too many photos so I chose my favourite ones for this post and because I was lazy, I didn't take down the names of all the artists.
I've seen Shintaro Ohata's work floating around Tumblr a lot. It was much better in real life, the interesting thing about his work is that no matter what angle you take photos from, you'll get a different view of his work.

He is best known for placing sculptures in front of his paintings. More of this work here.
Yoshitomo Nara, I don't have to explain his work, do I? 
Goto Atsuko. I have been following Goto Atsuko for a long time on Instgram, so I was really happy to see his work in person. What I love the most about his work is how the girls are always submerged in a dream like setting. Also how he meticulously paints. Details, details, details.

Dreams are like strange stories, landscapes, our memory builds unconsciously. 

More of his work here.

Takato Yamamoto. One of my favourite illustrators of all time. I was really glad to finally see his work in person. I don't think he has held any exhibitions in the last couple of years, so I was really lucky. 

To think that I already loved his work by just looking at prints and his work online. You definitely "feel" so much more when you see his work in person. Serene yet dark. 

Akio Ohmori.

Found out about his work here, at Art Stage. I love how he places the animals on the mirrors in this series of work. He normally does sculpture but his creatures are really something out of my daydreams. 

View more of his work here.

I was really glad to have come back in time for Art Stage this year. I've been missing it for the last couple and am always so bummed when I see my friends posting photos on social media. I hope to continue to go to more art events this year. 

Shows and art. Nothing makes me happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment