Tuesday 7 February 2017

333. foreign cab rides, letlive.

January 11th/12th, 2017

I decided to go back home to Melbourne to catch one of my favourite bands, letlive.

I bought the tickets to the show just a month before while I was still in Tokyo, I just felt like I needed to go to this show for a change of scenery and going back home helped me in so many ways. I'm thankful I made that decision.

letlive. isn't that famous in Asia, so I figured if I really wanted to see them, I would have to travel. It's such a shame that they aren't that known over here. I only started listening to them last year when If I'm The Devil... was released. There was something in Jason's voice that moved me. It's hard for me to feel like that about bands, so when I do, I tend to fall in love completely with the band.

Since then, their music has been on loop. I love that whenever I find a band on a later album, I'd always try to listen to their previous albums and fall in love with them even more. letlive. did that for me.

I arrived back in Melbourne on January 11th and was dead tired because I just got back to Singapore for less than 24 hours, rushed errands in the day and was off to the airport by night. I didn't get a wink of sleep on the flight, so I took a nap before heading out to the show.

Underoath tour in February ;__;

The show was at 170 Russell, formerly known as Billboard. It's my favourite live venue in Melbourne. It was pretty packed when I arrived. I got there in time to catch Counterparts. I bought some merch and tried to find a good spot somewhere in the crowd and I didn't even stand still for 5 minutes when Counterparts took the stage.

I listened to them for just a little bit before the show so I wasn't too familiar with their music. They put on a pretty good 30 minutes set.

It didn't take too long for letlive. to take the stage. I was probably too excited to see them because I could feel my heart race and get goosebumps when they were on stage. I miss that feeling. They opened to Renegade 86' and they BLEW. MY. FUCKING. MIND.


Their energy on stage was amazing, I would say most of the credit is given to their vocalist, Jason. The way he loses himself in the music is just something. Unpredictable. letlive. has definitely stolen the top spot for best bands I have seen live.


Their setlist was sooooooo good as well. All of my favourites were played and I think my favourite performance of the night was The Fear Fever. Jason totally lost himself to the music, especially on that song and was throwing the microphone stand and shit everywhere. I live for moments like this. Their setlist had a good mix of old and new songs and some slower songs. Foreign Cab Rides was another song that was really good live.

He jumped into the crowd during one of the songs as well, I can't remember anymore because I was just in awe of how good they were live. I really love the message Jason left about respecting women before performing Muther which was also spectacular to watch the crowd singing the entire first verse of the song back to Jason. I realised how much I have missed going to shows in Melbourne. The enthusiasm of the crowd and just flat out - the band talking in between songs without worrying if people were going to understand them. It's the language barrier in Japan sometimes that makes shows less fun for international bands.

They closed to Good Mourning, America off their latest album. Jason jumped onto the drum set while finishing off the show and everything got dismantled. The crowd went "WOAH", which I thought was pretty funny. They played for exactly an hour. I was so happy I chose to fly back home to see them. I thought I love their music already but now I love them even more.

Their setlist (not in order) :

Renegade 86'
Another Offensive Song
A Weak Ago
Younger
The Dope Beat
27 Club
Le Prologue
The Sick, Sick, 6.8 Billion
Foreign Cab Rides
The Fear Fever
Reluctantly Dead
Banshee (Ghost Fame)
Muther
Good Mourning, America

Next up was Every Time I Die and they opened to Glitches. I wasn't feeling their set too much because even though I have been listening to them since I was 17, I was never a big fan. Though - I do admit, they did put on a solid set and killed it. My happy, higher mood from letlive., died off because I had to endure another hour in the crowd for a band I didn't really care about.

I was just glad I got to see letlive. again next day, I decided to skip Every Time I Die at the next show.

January 12th was my last day in Melbourne. I literally only came back for these shows. I made my way to Arrow on Swanston really close to the show time again, it was a 20-minute walk from the Airbnb apartment I was staying in. The venue was much smaller than 170 Russell, maybe just a quarter of it and had a really small stage. No barriers, though. That can only mean that it'll be an intimate show.

It was almost like a floor show, I got used to going to small shows ever since living in Japan so I didn't mind at all. The only thing I minded was being the only Asian there because I just stood out and whenever I walked past people at the venue, they would just stare at me. It did bother me at the beginning but once letlive. took the stage, I just didn't care and squeezed my way to the front.

It's been a long time since I've stood in front for a show. I only do that for bands I really love. Today's show had the same lineup, Counterparts, letlive. and Every Time I Die. I watched Counterparts's set again and just waited around for letlive. to take the stage.

They played exactly at 8:20pm and had the same set list. I really liked that they decided to perform the chorus of Linkin Park's Crawling during 27 Club because they kinda have a long interlude in that song. I was glad to be in the front since I don't know when I can ever see letlive. again, I just wanted to enjoy their performance and lose myself in their music.


When they closed to Good Mourning, America, Jason ran into the crowd and did a backflip while the fans attacked him, in less than a minute, you couldn't see Jason but just people running towards his direction and jumping on him. Don't worry, he didn't get hurt. I just miss seeing things like that because that doesn't happen in Japan.

They put on a good show again but honestly, the night before was better. I think it's just because the stage was bigger and they could utilise the area. I also personally think a band like letlive. just does better on a bigger stage. Also the fact that the show for the day before was Above 18, makes it better because kids are annoying. The second show was an All Ages one. They played for an hour as well.

I didn't bother staying for Every Time I Die and just grabbed dinner on the way back to the apartment. I felt really happy when I got back to the apartment, even though I came on my own to see a band I really like, I felt really accomplished. I wanted to prove to myself that travelling alone is not that bad, because of things that happened years ago, I always get paranoid and anxious when I'm in Australia. I'm glad that now, I have overcome that fear and better yet, got to see one of my favourite bands. This trip was definitely worth it.

Nothing beats seeing your favourite band for the first time. I haven't felt this way about a band in a long long time. The last time I felt this way, this excited for a show was for lynch. almost 4 years ago, and AFI which was 7 years ago. It's really rare that a band can amaze and move me this much.

letlive. also reminded me of how much I love music. I feel like I have been losing my way with music because of living in Japan and getting "too close" to the scene that I started losing interest in music. It has been really hard for me to listen to music in the recent months but I can't not listen to music so whenever I listened, there would be an emptiness that would fill me, which made me feel really uncomfortable. Thanks to letlive., I am reminded that I love music for bands like this. So really, thank you.

To top it off, it's always Melbourne that helps me get on my feet again. What a way to kickoff 2017, I'm just so thankful I decided to follow my gut and flew back home to catch this band. They were really the push I needed after the crazy rollercoaster of emotions I felt in the last 3 months of 2016.

Thank you, letlive. I hope to see you somewhere else in the world again.

No comments:

Post a Comment