Monday 17 November 2014

178. maggots, knotfest

15th November was the first day of knotfest, I couldn't really get much sleep the night before so I was worried about how I was going to last the entire day. Slowly made my way to Makuhari Messe in Chiba, it took about 2 hours but still didn't manage to get any sleep on the train.

rare selfie, on top of it in the morning.

I was so excited for today because I finally got to have a girl to talk to! I was meeting up with Laura, who found me on blogspot and I've been following her tumblr for a while. I met up with her while waiting to get into Messe. We were talking so much right away about music, I guess because she's from Australia too, so it made it easier.

We went to look at the merch first because I wanted to get something but the line was insane, it looked like there were more than a hundred people in line. So we just passed up on that and went into the venue. The first band I got to see for the day was Crystal Lake. I was excited to see them since I've (finally) started listening to them. They only played stuff from their latest album, CUBES. They played Ups & Downs, Rollin', Beloved and The Fire Inside. They were really good live and I actually want to see them again because I had fun singing along to their songs (even if their songs aren't really singable?).

After Crystal Lake, we got to the other stage for coldrain, this time I didn't enjoy their set that much. They played No Escape, Six Feet Under, Aware and Awake, The War Is On, The Revelation and some other songs I can't really remember now. I wished they played Stuck again, like at summersonic because I really enjoyed that.  We went back to the other stage after coldrain ended. It was a continuous cycle of going back and forth stages because we both wanted to see almost the entire line up.

Next up was Miss May I, I was pretty impressed with how good they sound live because I don't really listen to them but had fun watching them. I only know they closed to Hey Mister and played Relentless Chaos since they announced it. The backing vocals were really good live, I wished he sang more. I was trying to take photos of the stages throughout the day but the stages were so smoky most the time that my photos all came out blur. (so much for wanting photos in this post.)

After they ended, we took a short break since we both don't listen to MEANING. The crowd was mostly made out of people decked out in black (surprise surprise) and I would say three quarter of the population today were male. Some were wearing Slipknot jumpsuits with the masks which honestly, sometimes when I'm walking too fast, freaked me out a bit because I was tired and would think I just walked pass a zombie, haha.

We both tried to get good spots for Bring Me The Horizon because I've been wanting to see them for so long and have missed them so many times already. They played mostly stuff from Sempiternal, opening to Shadow Moses it was fun singing " This is Sempiternal!",  the mosh for BMTH was pretty chaotic and I got almost pulled in a couple of times, also got pushed to the side which actually offered a better view of Oli Sykes, haha.

They continued with Go To Hell For Heaven's Sake, The House of Wolves, Sleepwalking, Alligator Blood, Chelsea Smile, Can You Feel My Heart and closed to Antivisit. I had fun singing along to all the songs and was happy they played Alligator Blood! Wished they played Fuck and Anthem though. After Bring Me The Horizon was Crossfaith.

I don't listen to Crossfaith at all and I only like Evolution but I know they are really good live, so I wanted to see them and because the bassist is really cute, haha. Laura also went to the mosh for them so I just stood at the left side of the stage to see them. I enjoyed their set but I don't really fancy their new single, Madness, that much. Too much of the DJ sounding thing. The mosh for Crossfaith was pretty chaotic too, I almost kept getting pulled in.

After they ended, the both of us met up at the side of the stage and went to see Lamb of God. They sounded good but I had a hard time enjoying them because I was texting away. I shouldn't be so interested on what's on my phone but I couldn't help it.  I texted throughout the entire set, bet people must be thinking I'm stupid to do that, lol.

It was SiM next. I listen to a couple of their songs but I'm not a big fan of them. The only reason why I wanted to see them is actually an inside joke, lol. They opened to Killing Me and continued with Who's Next. They were pretty good live and had good energy on stage but the singer's japrish was really hard to listen to. I couldn't make out what he was singing half the time, also I got annoyed when it went to the auto-tune bit. That was when both me and Laura decided to walkaway.

We went outside for a bit to get some air, and chilled outside while talking about a ton of stuff. We went over to the stage where One Ok Rock was going to perform while Papa Roach was still playing. They were playing Last Resort and I couldn't help but to laugh a little because people used to make fun of that song when it was just released years ago.

One Ok Rock took the stage at 6 and opened to Deeper Deeper and it was the only song I really enjoyed it. Taka's voice is really good live and never missed a note. After that I got bored because I've never been a fan of One Ok Rock, I only like Deeper Deeper and Liar. I was bummed that they didn't play Liar. One Ok Rock's crowd was pretty much a huge dancing/jumping party. They played a couple of songs which I obviously don't know any of them except Mighty Long Fall, Clock Strikes and  The Beginning.

Next up was Limp Bizit and I was never a fan of nu-metal, so the both of us just sat somewhere at the back, resting. I was so sleepy by this time. I tried to nap for a little bit but failed miserably. Luckily Limp Bizit played for about an hour so there was enough time to rest up for Slipknot.

The final act of the day and the main reason why everyone came to this festival anyway, Slipknot, took the stage at exactly 8pm and opened to their new song from The Gray Chapter, Sarcastrophe. The stage setup was so pretty, everyone kept saying やばい. I was also saying suppperr やばい lol There was a giant devil head in the middle of the stage which had blinking lights, as well as fire blowing out every now and then following to the beat of the songs. I wish I could have taken a photo but I took videos instead.

The second song was The Heretic Anthem and honestly even though it is my favorite song from them, I was pretty bored. I preferred the time that they performed in Australia for Soundwave 2 years ago. There was more anticipation to it because before the song would even begin, Corey would get the crowd excited by whispering "If you're 555, then I'm..." first before continuing to perform. Or maybe it was too early that they played that song?

I didn't really know most of the songs they played since I only listened to the new album once but The Devil in I and Psychosocial was fun to sing to~ The later part of their show was more fun since they played older stuff. Everyone went crazy when they played Duality. I had the most fun at Before I Forget, Duality and Spit It Out. Corey also was talking and thanking people for coming out and apparently there were 24,800 people at the festival. O___O

For their encore, I had fun singing to People = Shit! Didn't get the chance to see them play that the last time and they closed to Surfacing. I was pretty bummed they didn't play The Blister Exists. I had fun at the festival but can't help to feel that there was something missing. It wasn't the same feelings I got after Soundwave or Summersonic.


Laura and I decided to get supper in Shibuya since she got locked out of her place, so we went to Wired Cafe in Tsutaya and had Taco Rice! I haven't had it in forever. We were just talking about a ton of things and she actually reminded me of myself back when I was 20 and touring with my boyfriend's band at the time. The things I wanted back then. I was surprised she had the same piercings as me on the right ear, that was pretty funny. Since Wired Cafe closed at 2, we migrated to the bar and stayed there till the first train.

It was nice hanging out with her because we have a lot of things to talk about, Australia, being Southeast Asian, music and the like. I'm glad I got to meet her and can't wait to hang out with her again.

No comments:

Post a Comment