Tuesday 25 November 2014

180. a suspenseful tale, tim burton


I finally went to The World of Tim Burton exhibition yesterday, it was everything I thought it would be except for the lack of displays for The Nightmare Before Christmas and of course, no photos were allowed. But other than that, I really enjoyed it.

It was quite crowded but it didn't take too long to get in, the first exhibition room held sketches and drawings by Tim Burton himself, on notepads, napkins and such. You could see he was playing with ideas in these sketches. I enjoyed the napkin sketches a lot and was standing in front of that exhibit for quite a bit. 

The second room held different series of drawings with different themes. There was a number, carnival (this one was one of my favorites), Trick or Treat, clown and some random drawings mixed up in there. I really liked Little Dead Riding Hood because I love the little note he wrote under it A Suspenseful Tale of Torment and Demon Possession. He wrote little notes alongside half of the drawings he makes which I thought was smart, to let the viewer understand what he was trying to portray. Also, some of them had poems which I had fun reading, wonder how many of the Japanese actually read them? This one guy next to me was so cute because he would look at the english words and try to find it in the dictionary on his phone. I wish my Japanese was better, so I could have helped him, haha. 

I really enjoyed his Unrealized Projects and thought they were one of the best drawings. Maybe because I haven't seen them before so there was a sense of "Ooohh!" in that.

The next room had all the film characters, this part I was the happiest at! The first thing you would see are the Frankenweenie models used in the film. I really love his claymation works a ton so I was really happy to see the figures in real life. The walls would be lined with drawings of the particular film. They also showcased Big Fish, Alice in Wonderland, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Corpse Bride, Charlie and The Chocolate Factory, Beetlejuice, Mars Attack, Batman Returns, Edward Scissorhands... basically all the films he made. There were even some drawings of his short films like Pee Wee's Big Adventure, Vincent, Stain Boy and Oyster Boy. (Yes, I remember all this because I took notes and used to be a really really big Tim Burton fan when I was a teenager.)

The was some sculptures as well, they had Oogie Boogie and Lock, Shock & Barrel (my favorite characters ever!) from The Nightmare Before Christmas, a character from his short story, Robot Boy (it could actually move, gave me a shock), Oompa Loompas from Charlie and The Chocolate Factory, some characters from Corpse Bride and Beetlejuice in his skeleton form. 

In between his Film Characters rooms, they were also showing some videos he directed or made. Such as Hansel and Gretel (a weird short film), The Killers music videos and Stain Boy. I didn't bother watching The Killers and Stain Boy because you can find them easily on youtube.

Next to the Film Characters room, the showcase of drawings continued. He uses ballpoint pen, ink, acrylic, watercolour, oil paint, colour pencils and markers on most of the drawings. There were also another three sculptures called Three Creatures (series) that I have never seen before and instantly fell in love with these creepy all-black monsters. They had sharp teeth, weirdly proportioned with long tails and more than a pair of eyes. 

My favorite part of the exhibition was actually the Polariods section. He would make oversized  Polaroids out of photos he took with themes from his film. I loved the lighting in the room and how macabre some photos were. Seriously thought it was well done.

The final room had more drawings and by this time I was a little tired of looking at so many drawings that I just glanced through them because I wanted to go to the shop! The shop sold Willy Wonka Chocolate Bars and specials for the exhibition. In the end, I bought 2 postcards, 1 washi tape (it had the number series drawings on them) and a set of stickers of the characters from The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy & Other Stories.


I was really happy to go to the exhibition because I'm running low on inspiration again, always. I want to paint but my mind can't seem to focus. Hopefully going to the exhibition helped. Can't believe it's already December next week. Oh, how time really flies.

No comments:

Post a Comment