Tuesday 26 July 2016

306. up in the clouds

July 12th, 2016

I met up with Laura in Roppongi Hills in the evening to go to the Ghibli Exhibition at Mori Art Museum. To our surprise, it wasn't crowded at all, there wasn't even a line to get tickets. I thought it would be a long wait, so I bought tickets in advance at Lawson.

The view from the exhibition. Spot Tokyo Tower!

As usual, no photos were allowed to be taken at the exhibition. The Red Turtle exhibition was up to promote the new Ghibli film, their first post-Miyazaki. I've watched the trailers and it doesn't feel very Ghibli to me. They have teamed up with a French animation studio for their latest release and honestly, I'm not too excited about it. I'd probably watch it online than go to the cinemas.

There were huge posters of all Ghibli films at the entrance, and a small cafe (not to be dined at, just for display) with a Gigantic Totoro standing behind the counter. It was vintage looking and reminded of the Ghibli shop right outside Dogo onsen I visited 6 years ago. There also were soot balls hidden at the dark corner which people didn't notice till Laura was standing there and calling me over.

Next was a huge room with all drawings and official posters for all Ghibli films, nothing too exciting. My favorite room was probably the one where they displayed all past Ghibli merchandise and exhibits. The little ponyos hanging on the ceiling were really cute. They even had a Totoro wearing a Kaonashi mask, I wish they sold them at the store.

I thought the "Roppongi" sign on the bus was so cute!
The mouse eyes were lighted up too!

Finally, we were allowed to take photos in the next room. It was just a giant Catbus which I have seen before at Ghibli Museum. You can enter it and sit inside. It was hard to take photos because people were going in and out of the bus. I don't blame them though.


The last room was spectacular. There was a moving (yes, moving) airship from Laputa on display that would light up every now and then. I recorded a couple of videos because the details on this thing is incredible. It only moves up and down but the propellers were done really well.

The official goods store was nothing but disappointing. They sold stuff that you could find easily at any other Ghibli store. We went to The Sun cafe for dinner. Even thought it was a themed menu, it didn't really feel like it because it was just normal looking food but from the films. Laura got the "Laputa bread" served with a side of meatball soup, while I just got the pasta, probably from Porco Rosso? I also got dessert which was pretty good. Probably the best "themed" food I have had, ever. Themed cafes' food normally taste like shit (especially the Gudetama one in Osaka).

After dinner, we went into the exhibition again before heading to Starbucks. Luckily, we did because we got better photos this time.We didn't do anything much but just walked around and chilled at Starbucks before deciding to head home.

The next day was spent with packing my luggage getting ready to go home for a while.

Even though I love Japan so much, now, being back home, it feels nice. I just need some time on my own and time to think and figure out what I want to do with my life. I'm also really glad to be back in Melbourne, I have missed my hometown.

No comments:

Post a Comment