Thursday 2 June 2016

301. big fish

I have been watching a little too much of films lately, mostly re-visited them I would say. But the one film in particular that stood out to me was 2003's Big Fish by Tim Burton.

I have had the DVD for years, and it's been sitting on my shelf untouched for so long now that it has become so dusty. I used to not like it at all because I found it boring and too much of a drag back then but I decided to give it another chance last night and I am glad I did. I see it in a very different light now and have a new appreciation for it. The cinematography in this film is really unique and quirky. What I love most about it, is that it's so surreal, it's hard to tell whether it's fantasy or reality.

But, I guess that is the point of the film. The film is about Edward Bloom, an old man who likes to exaggerate tales of his past until one day his son, Will Bloom, starts questioning his own father and they did not talk for three whole years. Until his mother informs him that his father is dying of cancer and wishes to speak to his son for one last time.

I like how you feel like you're on an adventure in this entire time, with Edward discovering a giant, a secret town, the love of his life, siamese twins and the best day of his life was the day he caught the big fish.

gifs by gotham.tumblr.com
Have you ever heard a joke so many times you've forgotten why it's funny? 
And then you hear it again and suddenly it's new. 
You remember why you love it in the first place. 
- Big Fish (2003)

The hospital scene made me really sad. Honestly, almost any hospital scene in movies nowadays is a tear jerker for me. Though some of them are not that emotional or depressing, it just reminds me of certain things and I get upset.

It is really different from all the other Tim Burton films and I guess that's why I love it.

Though I have been pretty busy lately, I still make time to watch and discover "new" films. It helps me relax and let my mind wonder off... I really need that now because I feel stressed most of the time. I have so many films I want to write about but I'm just gonna take my time. 

2016 seems to have a lot of promising new movie releases and I can't wait to watch them.

No comments:

Post a Comment