Wednesday 4 May 2016

294. painted plant pots, singapore

So, I am back in Singapore for only a week and will be leaving already in two days. I can't wait to be back in Tokyo, in my own apartment again. Even though I still don't really like being back here, I was lucky enough to be back in time for a couple of things I actually like.

On Saturday, I went to Polkaros's potted plants' workshop. I started following her on Instagram recently, her products are really cute and similar to a lot of artists I already like. Also, I love going to workshops because it helps me "open up" my mind to trying new things.

The workshop was a small class of 6, and they instructed us on how to design our pots. The ceramic pots are from Japan. I talked to the artist quite a bit because she lived in Tokyo for a couple of years so there were a lot of things in common. Her assistant for that day was really nice too and it turns out we had some mutual friends.

The workshop lasted for 3 hours and even though it looks easy to do or paint, it wasn't as easy as I thought. First of all, I'm not the type of artist who can just make something or come up with an idea instantly, so I had some problems at the beginning. I tried to relax and the idea just came naturally. While the others mostly just copied the artists' other designs, I decided to paint what I like with still leaving some obvious inspiration from her work.


There's also a Japanese fair going on at Isetan until 5th May, so she has a pop-up store there as well. I bought a small vegan leather pouch!


her work.
mine.

She taught us how to pot a plant as well, something I have not done before. It was fun mixing the soil and removing dirt from the succulent. Actually more fun than painting for me, haha. I picked succulents because mine got blown away by the strong wind in Japan recently. This kind of makes up for it. We also got to make a little small clay figurine to decorate our pot. 

My design even though you can't see it from this angle, has raindrops at the back of it's  head. In the end, the artist made a star for me because I REALLY FAIL at making or even drawing stars. Since I was a kid, my stars always turn out weird looking and lob-sided. I knew it was going to happen already so I just asked her to make it for me, haha.

I had a lot of fun at this workshop. I still hope to attend more workshops like this. It really refreshes my mind and lets me re-think of my approach to painting.


There was also a Kami Fuusen (paper ballons) workshop happening the next day but I wasn't really interested in that one. But these ones are cute! I like her color palettes and how peaceful you feel when you look at her work. Also, the geometrical shapes in her work adds a charm to them. 

Her website : polkaros.com
Instagram :  @polkaros

I like the current style of some of my latest work, so I think I will stick to that. When I arrive back in Tokyo, I'll only have 3 days to myself before classes start. So, hopefully, I'll use that time to catch up on some painting. Also, since I have stocked up on  my paintbrushes from here, I will feel more comfortable. (Yes, Japan doesn't sell this particular brand of paintbrushes I use. I always like to complicate my life =__=)

No comments:

Post a Comment