Monday 28 September 2015

244. fantastic mr . fox


I've been wanting to write about Fantastic Mr. Fox for almost half a year now. I first watched it back in March on my flight to Tokyo. Since then, I've watched it several times and little sis even got the Blu-ray for me, so it was my first time watching it on a big screen on this trip back to visit my family.

Fantastic Mr. Fox is a stop-motion film by Wes Anderson based on Roald Dahl's book of the same name. I have read several books by Roald Dahl when I was a kid and if I remember correctly, The Witches was my favorite book. I've never read Fantastic Mr. Fox though, but this stop-motion film has got to be one of the best films I've watched, ever. 

The story is about Mr. Fox (as the title suggests) and his fantastic life I guess? The only thing that isn't so fantastic is his neighbours, 3 farmers who are out to kill him *spoiler* because he stole from their farms. I won't give too much of the story but what I really loved about this film is there was a good balance of humour, not only for kids but for adults as well. The visuals for this film is a feast for eyes and I love the colour theme. The colour theme is more towards the warm colours, like orange, yellow and brown, so it has a really autumn feel to it. 

I love how marvellous  the stop motion is in this film, especially for the running streams, falling foliage and the beautiful visuals for the vast countryside. To top that, the cast for this film is also stellar. I thought George Clooney playing Mr. Fox couldn't be a better fit. Also, Meryl Streep as Mrs. Fox? Yes please. 

Watching this film on a bigger screen is definitely very different. I get to discover all the little details I have missed out. Also, on the Blu-Ray there were "The Making of" bonus, I've always loved watching those, especially for stop-motion films because you get to see how the dolls for the films are made, and how they tediously film every bit. 

Stop-motion films are rare, I hope there will be more in the future by Wes Anderson. I hope to find some more new films before classes start again. I'm already heading back to Tokyo tonight and I'm more than glad to be going back.

No comments:

Post a Comment