Sunday 6 September 2015

240. song of the sea


Come away, o human child, 
to the waters and the wild with a fairy, 
hand in hand, 
for the world's more full of weeping than you can understand.

It has still been raining a lot and I'm not complaining because that's the best time to stay in, snuggle and watch some films. I have been wanting to watch Song of the Sea since it's release last year and was sooooo bummed I missed the screening of it in July here, in Tokyo, at a small film festival because I was back in Singapore.

Finally had some time to myself, and found it online. I don't support this so I always end up buying DVDs or blu-rays later on if I really love the film. Song of the Sea is by the same studio and director that brought us The Secret of Kells. I love both films because they are so  visually jaw-droppingly beautiful but personally, I love Song of the Sea more because of certain elements of mystery and the storyline is just much better.

Song of the Sea is about a story of a boy named Ben living in an island off the coast of Ireland with his father and his mother expecting their second child. His mother disappears unexpectedly one night, leaving behind his newborn sister. Ben is resentful towards his sister because he blames her for his mother's disappearance. I love how Ben and Saoirse's (his younger sister) relationship grows throughout this film.

The flow of the story was done really well. It derives from Celtic folklore (like The Secret of Kells, I love), and the only thing I could compare this film to is Hayao Miyazaki's work because of the the spiritual fantasy feeling you get from his films. There's fairies, witches, sea creatures and many other magical characters in this film, it takes you to a different world.

I can't believe I cried at the end of the film because it was so sad. The one thing I really really love about Song of the Sea is that it shows how parents don't want to see their children in pain, so they try their very best to shelter them from harm. It really hit home for me.

The score for this film is simple, yet heartfelt. I really enjoyed it.

I watched Big Eyes by Tim Burton this week too but (sorry) that is nothing compared to this. Big Eyes is a good film too but it's not as heartfelt as this.

I think Tom Moore is going to be my new favorite director if he continues producing films like this. I want to stay home and watch more films but I have exams coming up. It looks like September is going to be a busy month. Another friend is leaving Japan, I'm going to Osaka and then back to visit my family and when I get back, I have a show to go to. I'm not complaining though, I'm actually really looking forward to it. I just hope that after all that, I can find some time to paint again.

No comments:

Post a Comment