Thursday 16 August 2012

037. lori earley

"The Wish"
"Audrey"

What are some ways you get inspiration?
"For the most part, my paintings are done out of expressing emotion and not from any source of inspiration at all. Sometimes though, I will get inspiration from music. I love music (who doesn't?!), and it helps put me in that state of mind that I need to be in to create.

For every solo show I have, I make a soundtrack of the music I was listening to while I was painting to play at the opening reception."

What advice do you have for aspiring artists?
" My advice for aspiring artists would be that talent is only part of what you need to be a successful artist. You must have a lot of dedication and self-discipline. It is a very competitive and difficult career and at times can be very lonely. But every job has it's downsides, and the upsides to being an artist is better than any job I can think of. It's a sense of fulfilment - that you are achieving something and making a mark in this world. Most of all though, it's making a living by doing what you love everyday- and nothing compares to that."


I have been reading the interview on Hi-Fructose and her FAQ page on her website. She's really inspiring. When I read her interviews, I feel less alone, somehow. There's so many answers I love from her but I can't copy and paste everything.

 I love how she answers about how couture goes along with art so well, I totally agree and I also have always loved Alexander McQueen all this while, not the "shopping" way but his couture lines are literally walking art. I hate everyone who claims they love him only after he has passed. All of them want to act like "Oh, I'm so contemporary, I always love him." Lies. I hate this kind of people the most.

I also love how she talks about the models she use. I thought it was wrong to use models than change certain things about their face or emotions, because I always do that. All this while, I also thought that you had to have inspiration from other things and not only your feelings. Because I always work better when I pour my feelings out onto my art work, you can actually tell the difference. 

I love these two pieces, as well as "Drained" and "Cocktail Hour". I really love how she used the pink in these two because pink is one of my favorite colors to work with.

I really thank her for inspiring me and making me feel less alone. I have also always loved Audrey Kawasaki's work but her work is becoming so over-rated it is annoying. I still love her no less, I just think everyone that is getting her art tattooed is loosing it's meaning already, whatsoever. Everyone has the same damn tattoo. It's as if, it's a trend and that really pisses me off.

Art is not a trend, or to be cool or to be "in". If you are a true artist, you'll understand the struggles we have to go through. I don't know why the fuck people nowadays think it's so cool to be "artsy fartsy". Fucking go to hell. I always get so pissed off with people and it's like when I tell people I like art nowadays, all they think is I'm just one of those acting "artsy fartsy" when I know I have always wanted to be an artist since I was 3 years old. All the fakers can go to hell please.

Ending rant, I really love Lori Earley and after reading her interviews and watching Black Swan, I find it easier to tap into my emotional state of mind to get into my art. Also, I have been using the way music makes me feel to do my art. 

When  I was still in art college, I didn't really understand what my lecturers were saying when they advised me to use my feelings for music to translate into my art. They were saying that my Cobra Starship series is really really good and even my dad's friend who is a critic in the art world did tell my dad that level of art is good enough to be placed in galleries. I think now I understand and it's still not too late. 

I still want to draw my girls in ether. I will do some more research and continue drawing tonight. 

Leaving for Jakarta next week too, I can't wait to see dad and have glorious food!!! :D


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful art.
    I enjoy the pink in these as well. I love looking at art of girls because of how differently they can be drawn. Especially when they are oddly disproportioned and have beautiful eyes, those are my favorites.

    Sorry you have to deal with all the fake artsy people. I don't know crap about art but I know what I like and don't like :] I wanted Audrey Kawasaki's art tattooed on me as well but after seeing so many people having it I got turned off. And it sucks because I really love the way she draws people :/

    Good luck with your drawings and your trip :D

    ReplyDelete