Sunday 9 July 2017

340. sleep paralysis

I'm heading back to Tokyo tonight already and I still haven't written anything worthwhile in the last two months, now I'm starting to believe some of my drafts will never see the light of day.

I've been busy for the last two weeks meeting friends, spending time with the fam and getting some work done. If there is anything worthwhile to write about, it's definitely gotta be about my tattoos.

On Monday, 3rd July, I had an appointment with Nadi for a tattoo. I was planning to go to Seoul at the end of the year but it looks like I don't have to anymore. Nadi was a guest artist at Bada Bink Tattoo in Singapore for just a couple of days last week. So I decided to get some work done by her when I saw her post on Instagram.

I wanted to get something related to sleep paralysis because I have been having it for almost a decade now. Sleep paralysis is not dangerous but it affected me a lot when I was going through depression. It happened almost every night and I didn't want to sleep because of it. My art and work revolves mostly around my dreams, nightmares and especially that place I call in between sleep and awake.

I had a consultation with Nadi first and she drew some designs for about an hour and we started after everything was nicely set up. The reference pictures she chose for me were really spot on and suit my taste really well. Little sis was surprised as well, haha.


We started talking more after she saw my other tattoos by Greem and Hugo. We shared horror stories which were pretty funny. This tattoo hurt A LOT since it is on my inner arm, probably my most painful one yet. We ended the session at close to 5pm. Chilled for a little bit with Nadi before heading for dinner, she was really sweet and easy to talk to. I gave her a set of my stickers and she said I should consider being a tattoo artist as well because my work will look nice as tattoos. She was really encouraging, so it felt really nice. I'm always happy to meet artists and it makes me much much much happier when they like my work too.

Again, female tattoo artists are *__* I'm always in awe. 

Also, I really love my tattoo by her.


I really love how she designed it so that you can look at it vertically and horizontally. It looks better horizontally to me. The hands grabbing the girl's legs are my favorite part of the tattoo. I wanted some red thread kinda linking the girl and the "sleep paralysis demon", so that explains the red on this piece.

If anything, I feel more inspired. I've been drawing a lot more lately but it's mostly not up to my standard, I think my mind is kind of burnt out after drawing 5 designs in a go. But I won't stop. 

As usual, I  wanted to get two tattoos but I'm saving that for the future. (and also when I can think of something else). 

--------

Can't believe two months just flew by like that. Even though I was really productive, I also felt like I didn't do anything at the same time. I'm happy to be heading back to Tokyo tonight but at the same time, I'm so lazy to get on that plane.

I just have to tell myself I get to see the person I love and everyone I care about when I get back to Tokyo. I can't wait to go on tour too, but first, the show in Saitama on Tuesday has got me really excited. Nothing makes me happier than seeing my favorite band.

I guess I will be writing from Tokyo once again on the next post. 

x

No comments:

Post a Comment